for enlargement .... CAUTION: slow to load!)
The train played a vital part in the
lives of the residents by providing a source for shipping
cotton grown in the community, mail delivery, and travel to
other parts of the state. At one time the train came through
town four times a day.
The railroad depot was sold to an
employee of the railroad
for a small amount years ago.
The background, white 2 story house
was the home place of J. R. Allen; it is believed that at some
point the home was used as a boarding house.
The green 2-story building was
purchased by the Hobson Family in 1924 and was operated as a
General Store until around 1980. The store is operated today
as an antique shop by a daughter of Mr. Hobson, Helen Low. In
1913, a large addition was put on the store and used as a
hotel to house traveling sales men.
The brown l-story building was the
home of Virgie Haggood and was referred to by locals as the
Hat House, because Mr. Haggood was a milliner (hat maker) by
The white building was built around
1930 and was home to Joe Simmons who raised his family there
and operated a small country store.
Not much is known about the tavern.
In the late 40ís a chenille bedspread factory was constructed
on this site. In the early 50ís, Coke operated a warehouse
business from our present day Town Hall which was remodeled
The small white building served as
the Post Office for many years. It is said that there
was a doctorís office behind the post office.
Above Main Street in the woods, you
will find Talking Rock Church, which has an active
At the far right you will find
Talking Rock School House. It was built in 1877 in
Ludville, moved to Talking Rock in 1882 and refurbished by
retired teachers with grant funds in 1998.
People in the front row are
depictions by the artist, Mary Ann Manzel, of the sheriff,
doctor, and others individuals as they may have looked in